Monday 26 September 2016

Because Christ Says So (part 3)

Last time , we looked at what Jesus taught in regards to the doctrine known as unconditional election.

He clearly teaches us that salvation is a decision made by God, not man.

And this decision isn't based upon anything that is within man or anything that man has done.

No. This decision is based on what is within God. Namely, love.

The next point of doctrine is a bit controversial.

L - Limited Atonement

Every orthodox christian, believes that the atonement is limited.

If they did not, they would fall into the heretical camp known as universalism.

There are two major views pertaining to this doctrine.

The first, which is an error, and can be considered to be heresy, is that the power of the atonement is limited.

The view is stated in this way - the sacrifice of Christ atoned for the sins of everybody in the entire world. But, this only makes salvation possible.

The person must now accept the atoning work that Christ did on the cross, or else the atonement will not be applied to them.

This is the view that many christians hold to, but it is not what is taught by Christ.

Jesus' view is stated in this way - the sacrifice that He made on the cross, actually atoned for the sins of all of those who are elected to salvation.

All those who are not saved, are so, because God has chosen not to save then.

So the atonement is limited based on the will of God, not man.

A lot if people take issue with that, however, we will not be getting into that discussion today.

Right now, we want to have a look at what Jesus taught in regards to the limiting of the atonement.

1. John 6:35-37 (ESV)  Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

- Here, we see Jesus tell the people who He is speaking to that the ones who will come to Him, are those who have been given to Him by the Father.

He gives this as an explanation as to why these people see Him, but don't believe.

This is a clear indication that the reason all people aren't saved, is because the Father has not given all people to Christ.

If He had, then they would all come.

2. John 10:24-27 (ESV)  So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense?

If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe.

The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

- Here, we see Jesus once again explaining why these people do not believe.

It's not because they don't have enough proof, or have a lack of understanding.

No. The reason they don't believe, is because they are not Christ's sheep.

Notice, Christ isn't teaching that one becomes His sheep at the point that they believe.

No. One believes because they are His sheep.

3. John 10:11-18 (ESV)  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.

He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

- Here, Christ teaches that He lays down His life for the sheep.

The sheep He lays His life down for are not strays... or strangers to Him.

He knows who these sheep are. He owns them. They belong to Him. As such, they listen to and obey His voice when He calls.

A point has to be emphasised though. If He lays His life down for the sheep, and He has identified people as not being His sheep, has He laid down His life for those people as well?

4. Matthew 25:31-33 (ESV)  When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.

Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.

- Here, we see Jesus answering our previous question. Those who are not His sheep, are goats. At the last day, He will separate the goats from the sheep.

5. Matthew 25:10-12 (ESV)  And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut.

Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’

But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

- This is the ending to the parable of the ten virgins.

At the end of this parable, the bridegroom arrives while the 5 foolish virgins are away and collects the 5 wise virgins.

The 5 foolish virgins go to where the bridegroom lives, and request to be let in, only to be told that he doesn't know them.

The question should be asked then.

If he doesn't know them, was he actually coming to get them?

Of course not. Even if they had been there at his arrival, they are strangers to him. He wouldn't have collected them anyway.

But, one thing that needs to be pointed out is that bridegroom does not seek to have a relationship at that point.

Notice what is going on. They are pursuing the bridegroom, and he chooses not to enter into an engagement.

Doesn't the bridegroom have the authority to decide if he wants them or not?

Of course he does. However, he has the liberty to decide that he doesn't want them.

6. Matthew 12:31-32 (ESV)  Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

- Here, we see the famous teaching on the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Irregardless of what a person believes this blasphemy is, or whether or not it can be committed today, we must not miss an important aspect of what Jesus teaches here.

God chooses not to forgive someone who commits this sin.

Forgiveness is an active choice that is made. It's not passive.

God actively limits His forgiveness. He doesn't extend His saving mercy and grace to those who commit this sin.

7. John 17:6-9 (ESV)  I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you.

For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.

I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

- These verses are part of what is known as the high priestly prayer.

Jesus prays to the Father, and states these things.

Not only does He state that the ones who believed, were given to Him by the Father, but that He is not praying for the world, but only those whom the Father has given Him out of the world.

This is the teaching of Christ.

The atonement provided by Christ, is indeed limited. Not by the actions of individuals, but from the actions of the Father in the first instance.

The Father gives people to Christ. Those are the people whose sins Christ atoned for on the cross.

Christ isn't even praying for the world, but only for those that the Father had given to Him out of the world.

That is the doctrine of limited atonement... according to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment