Friday 15 November 2013

Once Saved, Always Saved? (part 1)

Once saved, always saved (OSAS) is a statement that for the majority of my walk with Christ, has been declared not true.

The immediate cry from those who disagree with it is that people MUST repent or else they are no longer saved.

Anybody who even dares to consider whether the statement is true or not, is quick to be labelled as someone who believes that once we’re saved we can go on sinning with no problems.

Over the last 4 years or so, I have increasingly come to the realisation that OSAS is actually true. However, I would instead put it this way – Once God Saves You, He Will Keep You Saved.

Obviously it’s not as catchy as OSAS, but I think it is a better representation of what the reality of salvation is.

However, even this is looked upon as false, and I have been called a number of things for sharing this belief.

I have increasingly come to believe that this doctrine is one that is so central to the foundation of our salvation, that there are many who do not hold to OSAS, who think they are saved, but are not.

And the simple reason is, ultimately, they are not trusting in Jesus alone to save them, but a combination of Jesus and their works.

Now, I’m not saying these things out of ignorance of the position of the other side. I have been on the other side for almost a decade. Even though I had my misgivings here and there, especially when I came across certain things in the bible that did not make any sense if we could lose/give up our salvation – yet I still held to the belief in some form or another.

More often than not, however, people who don’t believe OSAS, attack the other side out of sheer ignorance of what they believe… at least from my experience (which is a very miniscule percentage compared to all the things that go on in the world).

So, I thought it would be in the best interest of all those who count themselves as being part of the household of God, to show why I used to believe that we could lose/give up our salvation, how I came to believe that those whom God saves will be kept saved, and… if possible, answer every single objection to the eternal security of the believer.

This promises to be a long and interesting series indeed, but one that I hope will edify the few people who may stumble across this blog as well as myself. The more we read and study to find out the truths of God, the more we will grow, and eventually find that which we seek.

Join me next time as we look into this divisive topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment